Recent Reads | March & April 2019

I have read some really great books lately! I meant to link up with Steph and Jana for Show Us Your Books last week and completely forgot, but here is my (super late) contribution to the link up!

I seem to be in this weird pattern of reading, where I read nonstop like 5 books in a week, then don't read anything for 3 weeks and repeat the process over and over again. I have also been putting books aside a lot more, and trying to find something that catches my interest pretty quickly. I think that's because I usually read before bed, and want the book to be captivating enough so that it doesn't put me to sleep.

Overall, it's been a great reading month! I haven't had any misses yet, at least from books that I have completely finished. Maybe next month I will add a list of books I put down... although that may make it a long post at the rate I'm going lol. Anyway, I thought I would lump together a bunch of the books I read throughout March and April so far:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo | This is the book that sent me on my historical fiction binge early on in March. Taylor Jenkins Reid wrote this story about infamous old Hollywood actress Evelyn Hugo (re: essentially a combo of Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe), who chose to share her life story after decades of silence with an entry level journalist. The story touches on several important themes, including the power of sexuality in Hollywood at this time, the stigma surrounding homosexuality, and the glitz and glamor of the old Hollywood era. The twist at the end of this book that revealed Evelyn's connection with the journalist was surprising and beautiful. I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars, unsurprisingly.

Daisy Jones and the Six |  I absolutely adored this story. A lot of people had mixed reviews about the book, because of the format. I personally loved it so much, and from the start it really captivated me. For those of you that don't know, this is Taylor Jenkins Reid's most recent work, a historical fiction novel chronicling the band Daisy Jones and the Six from the 1970s. The cool thing about this story, at least in my opinion, is that the book is told in pieced-together interview format, almost as if it were an episode on VH1'a Behind the Music docuseries (side note: does anyone remember that show? I absolutely loved watching it). Anyway, I loved the fact that it included interview segments from all the bandmates, even including outside people like managers, friends, journalists, and spouses. It was really cool to see how one event could be interpreted several different ways by different people. The story portrays the rise and fall of the band at the height of their fame, and I loved every minute of it. I read it in 2 sittings, and gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

The Nightingale | Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale is another historical fiction novel, this time set in World War II Nazi-occupied France. It tells the story of 2 sisters and their lives during the war. Both sisters have very different experiences, both very shocking and humbling, and the story is told so beautifully. This one also got 5 out of 5 stars from me. It is the first World War II book that has truly kept me interested, intrigued, and invested in years. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy reading about this time period but want a different take on it… I really think it should be required reading. After reading this, I can't wait to read Kristin Hannah's other book that I own, The Great Alone, which takes place in Alaska in the 70s. 

Then She Was Gone | This was my first Lisa Jewell book. I have to say, I loved it. This story is about a mother whose daughter went missing when she was 15 years old, never to be seen again. A decade later, she becomes involved with a new man- and upon meeting his daughter, is taken aback at the likeness and similarity to her own daughter that went missing years ago. The unraveling of this mystery was so different and shocking that  I couldn't help but give it a 5 star rating. This book was so compelling  and I could not put it down.

The Broken Girls | Simone St. James crafted a haunting, chilling thriller with intricately woven subplots that somehow  all culminated together in an extremely satisfying ending.  This was my 1st foray into ghost story thrillers, and I don't think it will be my last. I've also discovered that I really enjoy thrillers following journalists investigating cold cases.  Fiona Sheridan is a Vermont-based journalist, whose sister was murdered 20 years ago on the grounds of Ildewild Hall, a now closed down boarding school which is rumored to be haunted. Upon hearing that the school is to be restored, Fiona contacts the new investors to write a story about the restoration. While there, she finds a dead body that has been there for over 60 years. She does a deep dive, looking to solve the cold case murder while also tying up loose ends surrounding her sister's murder from 20 years ago along the way.  This book was seriously so cool, and it was awesome to see how everything was woven together.  I highly recommend this book, and gave it 4 out of 5 stars. It didn't get a full 5/5 stars just because it was bit slow in the beginning. However, I will definitely be picking up more from this author in the future.

Currently Reading: 

A Court of Wings and Ruin |  I had started this back in December after finishing A Court of Mist and Fury, which gave me SUCH a book hangover that I had to put ACOWAR down. I am liking it so far, and I'm excited to A) actually finish (and love) a series and B) read a fantasy novel (WHO AM I?!).

That's about it from me!  I have seriously loved my recent reads and I think it's safe to say that my reading slump is officially over. I'd love to know if you read any of these books, and what you thought about them!

Comments

  1. I haven't even started Queen of Shadows. The library auto-renewed it two nights ago 🤦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol get on it girl! I am thinking of starting the first one too, its been on my Kindle for like 3 years.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts to check out!

Friday Favorites! A hodge podge of random things

coffee chat

The best news I could ever share.