Low-carb enchiladas two ways

I love love love Mexican food. We have tacos or fajitas at least once per week. So when I started eating mostly low-carb, it was kind of hard to find recipes that I enjoyed that didn't involve taco shells, rice, or burritos. And then, I discovered spaghetti squash and zucchini, and these variations of enchiladas were born. Both of these recipes are pretty similar and equally delicious. I really hope you try these- the enchilada casserole especially is one of my all time favorites that I make at least once per month for my lunches (picky hubby will not try it lol).  

Spaghetti squash enchilada casserole (adapted from Sandy's Kitchen Adventures)
Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 bell pepper 
  • 1 spaghetti squash (about 4 1/2 cups)
  • 1 can of Rotel 
  • 2/3 cup of Mexican-style shredded cheese
  • 1/2 cup of 2% plain Fage Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of red enchilada sauce 
  • 3 Tbsp reduced fat cream cheese 
  • Spices to taste (I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and chili powder- you could also use cumin or just do taco seasoning instead)
Instructions: In a bowl, combine the enchilada sauce, cream cheese, and Greek yogurt, and stir until combined. Cook spaghetti squash (I pierce the squash and microwave for 8ish minutes, then cut it in half, spice it with salt, pepper and olive oil, and roast it for about 30 minutes at 425; once cooked, "fork" out the squash to get "spaghetti"). Brown the ground beef, and add in spices, bell pepper, and Rotel. In a casserole dish, combine all ingredients prepared and stir. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. 


Enchilada zucchini boats (I have done this tons of different ways, but most recently here is the recipe I've been following...
Ingredients: 
  • onion 
  • bell pepper 
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp paprika 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 2 medium zucchinis 
  • 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce 
  • optional toppings: shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream 
Instructions: Cut zucchini in half the long way and scoop out most of the inside of the zucchini. Brown the ground beef. Saute bell pepper, onion, and black beans. Season to taste. Place the zucchini in a lightly greased baking dish, spoon the enchilada mix into the zucchinis, and top them with the enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream. 

A little side note:  I don't pay too much attention to measurement of spices when I follow recipes- I kind of just go with the flow. That's the good thing about this dish- it's super forgiving and can be made several different ways. Feel free to spice it up however you'd prefer. 

There you have it... low-carb enchiladas, two ways. If you try either of these recipes out, let me know how you like them! I am really enjoying having these two in my dinner rotation. 

Linking up with Lindsay

Comments

Popular posts to check out!

Friday Favorites! A hodge podge of random things

coffee chat

Our Memorial Day Weekend