Recent Reads | April 2019

Throughout the end April and beginning of May I only read one book, but that's because I finally finished the third and final book in The Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas. Considering this tome is 700 pages, I'm OK with that! I haven't read a book that long in what feels like forever.
A Court of Wings and Ruin is the third "official" installment of the series, and man was it an epic conclusion. The story featured kickass battle scenes, sweet romance, incredible friendships, and an unbreakable bond between family. It had everything, really.  My only qualm was that it was so long, and I thought things could have been wrapped up much quicker. 

The story picks up right where we left off in book 2, with Feyre back in the Spring Court with Tamlin, pretending that the bond between her and Rhys has been destroyed. The first 1/3 of the story dragged a little bit for me, not because it was poorly written or boring, but because I was just dying for her to go back to Rhys and the Court of Dreams. Throughout the story, there was a lot of politics and planning involved, which also dragged a bit, but it was pretty interesting overall and I enjoyed seeing the courts work together to fight a common enemy. Something that annoyed me (but may not necessarily be a deal breaker for others) was repetitive language. For instance, when describing battle scenes, the author wrote on several occasions that "___ unleashed himself on the army". To me, vague, repetetive language like that doesn't really do the description any justice. There seemed to be lots of telling instead of showing.

There is a novella that follows this book, but I heard it doesn't add anything to the story. Knowing me though, I will want to see more between Rhys and Feyre and will probably pick it up at some point soon. I still think book 2 is my favorite, but I really enjoyed ACOWAR, and rated it 4 stars on Goodreads. This series sure was a wild ride. I loved it overall. I highly recommend it, even if you just read it for the 2nd book.

I am currently reading A Killer's Mind by Mike Omer. It is a police procedural thriller, following an FBI agent and forensic psychologist as they investigate a serial killer pegged by the media as the "Strangling Undertaker", because he has been embalming his victims after strangulation and posing them in public locations. I've been engrossed since page 1- definitely enjoying it so far! You get the perspective of the psychologist, FBI agent, and also the serial killer (so far anyway). I can't wait to see what happens and how everything unfolds.
Linking up with Steph and Jana for this month's Show Us Your Books!

Comments

Popular posts to check out!

Friday Favorites! A hodge podge of random things

coffee chat

Our Memorial Day Weekend